2.08.2009

from the desk of... candidate #1
Just When You Think You’ve Got It All Together


As I finish my second year in graduate school I am drawn to reflection as a way to bring closure to this experience and think about how I got here. Admittedly, it is often a blur and requires some intense focus to discern what exactly happen after I graduated from my undergraduate institution and before I enrolled in my graduate program.

I decided to move to Minnesota and work for a large corporation. I thought in making this decision I would be ahead of the curve. I felt really “put together.” I had a great job in a great city, and made some great friends. I mean, I was in a new place ready to master corporate America and move quickly up the food chain. And while I enjoyed the city a lot, I didn’t like my work. Daily, I looked at spreadsheets, managed inventories, and dealt with pushy vendors who wanted nothing more than to see their latest products on the shelves. After a short nine month stint, I found myself leaving the company to “find myself” again. I conceded to give up the corporate lifestyle and pay check to be a student again but, I was excited to get back into higher education.

The process of applying to grad school was refreshing and it was clear which institution I would attend. I wanted them and they wanted me. I received my first choice assistantship selection, managed to find great housing, and lived with two people from my cohort. Life in August 2007 started on a superior up-tick.

I revered the second-year students from the year before, and was excited to be revered by the incoming cohort. I was hopeful that I could be “cool and knowledgeable” like the second-years that graced campus only a few months prior. The school year kicked off quickly, and I forgot about the “0-60 in four seconds” approach that faculty members took with second-year students. No real time for a syllabus, or expectations, but rather reading and assignments due before the first day of class.

Last semester also went by quickly. I managed to travel some, enjoy the fall foliage, and start an independent study. All of which leads me to this moment and the start of the job search. I spent much of winter break editing my resume and crafting cover letters. I attempted to drill down to the core of the positions I have held in the past and really impart my values and beliefs in my writing. I was actually a little proud of what I came up with. Working with our career services staff, who is extremely familiar with student affairs jobs, helped me out greatly. Over break, I also settled on the idea of applying to different types of positions with location driving the search. Residence life, orientation, international education, and student activities are all on the list.

I felt confident to submit my applications at the beginning of 2009, but thought it would be helpful to get one more set of eyes. Of course, why not…the more eyes on resumes and cover letters, the better…right? So I had a great friend review them, and boy did he RIP them apart. His feedback was hard, critical, and good. He caused me to think about the hows, whys, and whats of everything I listed and wrote. Our two hour session felt like resume boot camp. His goal for me was to craft a “top two percent” resume; you know the one that gets you remembered.

To think I had it all together is an understatement. I was certain I was ready to complete the first major step in job searching – actually applying. I was mistaken. However, I wouldn’t take his feedback away at all. It was a healthy, but painful, experience that I needed to go through.

Now, I have ten applications sent out. Some employers have confirmed receipt, others have indicated that their openings are anticipated, and still others haven’t replied. I have a system, tons of folders on my computer, and the TPE website is bookmarked. We’ll see how it goes. I’m excited and hoping this time I have it mostly together.

No comments: