2.18.2009

from the desk of... candidate #4

BRRNG. BRRNG. BRRNG.

The phone screamed in short bursts, echoing throughout my parents house, sending chills down my spine.

"Oh, no," I said aloud. My eyes, still puffy from sleep, widened. My heart skipped a beat.

BRRNG. BRRNG. BRRNG.

I immediately knew who was calling. But I wasn't ready to answer. I wasn't even fully awake. Had I overslept?

BRNGG. BRRNG. BRRNG.

I had to answer. I raced to the kitchen and snatched the phone, glancing at the caller id. Judging from the New York area code, I knew the worst to be true.
It was phone interview time.

A few days ago, a major university had called regarding an open position I applied for in their Residence Life department. They wanted to set up a phone interview with me. They asked me what time I wanted Thursday morning. I said 9 a.m., thinking that would give me at least enough time to wake up, have a cup of coffee, and go over my interview notes and canned answers.

But what I forgot to specify was I lived in a different time zone and I meant wanted 9 a.m. MY TIME, Central Standard Time, not Eastern.

"Um...can you give me one hour? It's only 8 o'clock here." I asked sheepishly.
Fortunately, the interviewer was kind and understanding. No harm done. Still it rattled my nerves enough to put me on edge for the rest of the morning.

I frantically poured through my notes and reminded myself how to act over the phone:
Be confident
But don't be arrogant
Be passionate
Let them know you really want the job.
But don't make them think you're needy.

No, I wouldn't want that. Despite the fact I'm 28 years-old, have a masters degree, but no career, and I'm living at my parents house. Despite the fact that half a million jobs were lost last month alone and the economy shows no signs of slowing down it's career death march anytime soon. Despite the fact that employers are overburdened with hundreds of resumes for just one position. Despite the fact that I'm scared to death that I might not get a job this year, or next, and may never do anything with my life.

No, I wouldn't want to sound like I NEED this job.

An hour later, the University called back.

I tried not to stutter, I tried to remember to breathe, I tried to stay calm. No such luck. I sounded like a rambling mess. mI thought I was ready for any question they were going to ask.
I had gone over workbooks on interview questions and practiced my answers and even gone over past interviews I've had.

But the first question out of the gate caught me off guard.
A deceptively simple question: "What challenges do you anticipate with this job?"

"Ummm...Well...Good question....ahhh..."
I froze up, I couldn't think. I couldn't answer. The silence was awkward.

Somehow, i got through the answer, but confidence-wise, it killed the interview.

I bombed. Big time.

I became paralyzed by my neediness and forgot how to just relax. I chalked the experience up as a practice run. Learn from my mistakes, be better prepared next time, calm down, and my God, know what time zone the interview is held.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can clearly remember the times i have been in that position, wanting something to go well and thinking that, despite your efforts, you probably made an unflattering impression... it's great that you're trying to look at it as a learning experience, and i truly appreciate your honesty, it has given me a little comfort as i go through this process also. best of luck to you!