3.10.2009

from the desk of... candidate 4


It's the eve before my job-hunting trip to Seattle. I'm packing all my resumes, my professional suit (ok my ONLY suit), and notes about interviewing.
I'm excited, I get to go to Seattle for the first time. I'll hang out, talk to universities, maybe find a job. Should be "fun."

I had just finished printing out all the TPE newsletters when I get an email from a university I applied for that will be at the conference. Wow! Maybe they want to set up an appointment! How wonderful! I'd LOVE to work for them. And their school is in my favorite city in the United States. What an opportunity that would be!

I excitedly click on their email, my mind wrapping itself around the idea of living at this university. Yeah, that would work. I would be happy there. Truly happy.

And then I read the email.

"Thank you for your interest in our anticipated Resident Director position at [our university]. Unfortunately, at this time, we will not be pursuing your candidacy. I wish you the best with your job search!"

And with that, my whole attitude changed. It was the third rejection notice I've received in the last week from a university. And it reminded me that it might be extremely competitive to get a job in Residence Life this year.

Going to
TPE isn't supposed to be a "fun" trip, per se. No, this is business. This is serious. It could be the most important trip of my life. I have to convince one employer to chose me over hundreds of other potential employees. The last thing I need to do is be lackadaisical.

No comments: